Thursday, January 7, 2010

Syn Tax Sux




Vices such as smoking is not actually encouraged here in Singapore, especially for tourists. Though smoking itself is allowed on smoking areas. If our Philippine law-makers are still debating on whether to impose syn taxes on all commodities like cigarettes and liquors, here in Singapore they've already implemented it. It was a shock to me too. Good thing I bought a couple of packs with me but it wasn't enough. So yesterday as much as I regret it. I bought one pack that caused me about 350 pesos. If only smoking isn't such a hard habit to break. I just can't go cold turkey all of a sudden. So I gave in. Alcoholic beverages are also included. Sigh.Prices range from $3.60 to $11.50 per bottle depending on the brand, size and where you are. While a pack of cig will probably cost you between $8.50 to $12.00.
Come to think of it, "Sa Pilipinas mahal ang gamot pero mura ang bisyo." While here, it's the other way around. Kinda shitty isn't it? Even though the cheaper medicines bill has already been in effect for sometime now. My dad bought his medicines here with a prescription of course from a local doctor. A brand for his hypertension cost him Php 3,+++ considering the fact that that amount wasn't discounted yet. If the same brand was to bought at home it will probably cost him around Php 12,+++ and I'm not even exagerating. Sux right?

But going back, if you are planning to visit singapore and you aren't ready to leave your vices behind, it's always best to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment