Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Just Say No

Something happened to me today and to sum it up here's my thought about it.

Filipinos find it really hard to say no! "Hirap na hirap tayong tumanggi!." This is true to most filipinos, I can safely say. Unlike our Western counterparts They can say No in your face and you won't even see a hint of guilt or shame afterward.

Americans can give you a straight forward answer. If you ask them a yes or no question. In an instant it's right in your face. While we Filipinos tend to supress. We want to play it safe all the time and worse, we say yes even if we mean no and vice versa.

I am guilty of this as well, My reason? It's personal... Hehehe Joke... Hmmm I dunno. Maybe I just don't want to see the look of disappointment on other peoples faces especially if I know they're expecting another answer. That's why when texting was introduced a couple of decades back, it just made saying no a lot easier.

"Sanay tayong mga Pilipino na magpaasa!" That's why sometimes our conversations doesn't get us anywhere. We can't move on to another issue/topic cause the previous one was left hanging. It's one thing to be turned down and it's another to be kept hanging. Personally, I choose the former. It's much easier to deal with.

The question now is. Are you guilty of this one too?

No comments:

Post a Comment